{% text "preview_text" label="Preview Text This will be used as the preview text that displays in some email clients", value="", no_wrapper=True %}


READ IN BROWSER

08/12/2022
linkedin facebook twitter instagram
WorkScoop
At Black Hat this week, former CISA Director Chris Krebs causes a stir by suggesting his old agency split from DHS, an idea that experts aren't embracing. The State Department offers a bounty for tips on Conti gang members. And are ransomware attacks really on the decline? This is CyberScoop for Aug. 12.

Experts say removing CISA from DHS won't work

Chris Krebs, the former head of CISA, created buzz at the Black Hat security conference this week when he suggested the agency be pulled out of DHS. Krebs said such a move would streamline how the private sector and other stakeholders work with the government to manage cyberthreats. But CyberScoop spoke with eight experts and a majority of them questioned the practicality of Krebs' idea. They said CISA won't have enough muscle without the clout of DHS supporting it and argued that new National Cyber Director Chris Inglis needs time to coordinate the government's cyber portfolio before making dramatic moves along the lines of what Krebs suggests. Suzanne Smalley has it from Las Vegas.


A Message From AWS Educate

With over 1,500 institutions and hundreds of thousands of students who use AWS Educate, we wanted to take you on a trip around the world and highlight how students are learning and innovating with the cloud. Learn more.


State Department goes after Conti ransomware gang

The State Department on Thursday announced a $10 million reward for information related to five specific individuals associated with the Conti ransomware group. The Russian-based cybercriminal group has wreaked havoc around the world. As of January 2022, there were more than 1,000 victims of attacks associated with Conti ransomware and payouts exceeding $150 million, according to the FBI. An additional $5 million reward was available to anybody who could provide information leading to the arrest and or conviction of anybody in any country conspiring to take part in a Conti variant ransomware attack. AJ Vicens reports.


Are ransomware attacks really on the downswing?

On this week’s episode of the Priorities podcast, Recorded Future intelligence analyst Allan Liska tells StateScoop Managing Editor Benjamin Freed that while ransomware attacks appear to be happening less than last year, there’s still plenty of reason for public sector leaders to stay on guard. Liska’s data was a key part of a report earlier this year from the Ransomware Task Force, which found that there had been 64 documented attacks on local governments, schools and hospitals through May 2022, compared with nearly 150 over the same period a year prior. Hear more from StateScoop's Benjamin Freed.


Tweet Of The Day

Image

Don't mess with the Goons and stay safe DEF CON attendees.


Want more? Catch our events for all things workforce!
{% widget_block rich_text 'unsubscribe' label='Unsubscribe' overridable=true no_wrapper=true %} {% widget_attribute 'html' %} Copyright (c) 2019 WorkScoop, All rights reserved.

{{ site_settings.company_name }}
{{ site_settings.company_street_address_1 }}
{{ site_settings.company_city }} {{ site_settings.company_state }} 20036

Update your email preferences
Unsubscribe {% end_widget_attribute %} {% end_widget_block %} {# {% widget_block rich_text 'unsubscribe' label='Unsubscribe' overridable=true no_wrapper=true %} {% widget_attribute 'html' %} You received this email because you are subscribed to {{ subscription_name }} from {{site_settings.company_name}}. If you prefer not to receive emails from {{site_settings.company_name}} you may unsubscribe or set your email preferences. {% end_widget_attribute %} {% end_widget_block %} #}